Interesting Econometrics Topics?

S Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Sun May 9 19:55:50 PDT 1999

John DiNardo wrote:

> LBO'ers:
>
> The Journal of Economic Perspectives (from the American Economic
> Association) is considering a symposium on recent developments in
> econometrics. Part of my job is to get input from a subset of
> *non--econometricians* on topics that they might actively choose to read
> about if published in the JEP. That is, this is not intended to be
> interesting to *econometricians* -- it is intended to be interesting and
> accessible to JEP readers.

I think the treatment of causality and causal relations in econometric models needs work. Also, clarification on the nature and philosophical basis of statistical laws would be very helpful and would go along way to further developing the rigor of econometrics. The best treatment of these topics is in -The Cement of the Universe. A Study of Causality.- by the late great John L. Mackie and more recently -A Theory of Determinism- 2 vols. by Ted Honderich. Papers/commentaries on this work as it pertains to econometrics would be interesting and helpful.

Sam Pawlett