The Map Isn't the Territory

CounterPunch sitka at teleport.com
Mon May 10 08:55:19 PDT 1999

The eminent editor of LBO wrote:

>This stuff [ie., Stratfor] is always interesting, but do these guys have
>sources, or are
>they just talking off the top of their heads?

My "sources" tell me that Stratfor's sources are their former comrade's in the Pentagon and the intelligence agencies. Given the attempt to unload the bombing fiasco on the CIA, this should make from some interesting leaks in the coming days. Don't you agree? The CIA has been roundly blaming the failures of war on the State Dept. and Richard Holbrooke. Meanwhile, Albright and Holbrooke hate each other and have been had their minions diss each other to the press. Personally, I hope a share of the blame can be parceled out to the B-2, which apparently flew the mission. Of course, the debacle will probably be used as justification for another $10 billion dollar appropriation to update those old global positioning satellite maps, right? As they say in the New Physics: the map isn't the territory.

___________________________________________________________ ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER? Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION! The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site <http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu at nwu.org>.