The Map Isn't the Territory

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 10 14:06:43 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> CounterPunch wrote:
>
> >Given the attempt to unload the
> >bombing fiasco on the CIA, this should make from some interesting leaks in
> >the coming days. Don't you agree?
>
> This gets into wilderness of mirrors territory, but it's not impossible the
> CIA or somesuch did it to embarrass Clinton, is it? Ok, maybe the agency
> that has a statue of that failure Nathan Hale in their front yard can screw
> up now & then, but not even they could be this stupid, could they?

John Adams wrote, Never trust the British Government to act in its own interest (meaning, no doubt, that it seldom knew its own interest). I tend to agree that the CIA couldn't be *that* stupid -- but then again, in that world of mirrors any degree of stupidity is a possibility. Years ago someone in the NYRB argued (reviewing I think a book that argued the same) that in the whole history of intelligence no spy agency had *ever* gotten it right -- except for a few times when it then proceeded to ignore what it had gotten right on the basis that it must be a plant.

Carrol