not so silly

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue May 11 06:38:59 PDT 1999

> OK. Since lots of people on these lists
> seem to think that it is not silly to contemplate
> that the US government or elements within the
> US government consciously targeted the Chinese
> embassy in Belgrade for bombing, I take it back
> and apologize to anybody who was offended by
> my use of such terminology. ... However, I still consider such a view
to be
> extremely unlikely.

There doesn't seem to be any rational reason for such an attack. OTOH, there are reports such as the following -- in today's NY Times by Belgrade correspondent Carlotta Gall, in an article titled "The Chinese Mourn the Dead and Raise Questions": "One diplomat [nationality not identified] said NATO made the [Chinese] embassy a target on purpose, not least because such a mistake could have been so easily avoided. 'The American military attache was often coming to the embassy,' the diplomat said. 'They were surely some CIA people in the embassy here, and they had to have had the correct information.'"

Carl Remick