Barkely's guide to Kosovo

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue May 11 10:28:15 PDT 1999

Michael,

Actually, this morning's Washington Post had another very instructive map. This one was supposed to show how the Yugoslavs have "destroyed Kosovo." In any case it depicted areas where 90% of the Albanian population was before the war, villages that have been burned, sites of "large encampments of internally displaced persons" and sites where such encampments have been attacked by Yugoslav forces, presumably the main enclaves of the UCK/KLA. From seeing where none of those are is probably a good indication of zones where the Serbs were (and presumably are) predominant, and thus the obvious "easy" places to have in a "Serb zone" after a partition.

There seem to be three such areas, one in the east, with Pristina, the capital and site of Kosovo Polje, on the western edge of that (this is the biggest such zone by far), a small sliver in the northwest, and a small finger in the farthest south that extends down south of Prizren and between Albania and Macedonia. Otherwise, it's pretty thick with (or was) with Albanians, including all across the middle.

The most difficult zone indeed must be in the southwest, in Metohija, near the Albanian border, running from Pec through Djakovica to Prizren. This is a zone of heavy Albanian population (or was) but it is also the zone that is thickest with Serbian Orthodox monasteries, including that of the Patriarchiate in Pec and the castle of the mythified Prince Lazar in Prizren. It has also been the site of the worst reported recent brutalities, including an alleged mass rape camp in Djakovica. Most of the recent refugees have been coming out of this area as well.

It would appear that the Serbs are seeking to clear the area of Albanians both to control their sites and also to create a cordon sanitaire against UCK/KLA infiltration from Albania, which will certainly be a problem, even after the Serb victory is admitted by NATO and the bombing stops.

The reported sites of attacks on encampments (and thus the presumed sites of major UCK/KLA enclaves) included one near Pec, one near the center in Drenica, long a major UCK/KLA stronghold, and one in the northeast. Earlier reports have indicated that the most effective of the UCK/KLA commanders on the ground are the one near Pec and the one in the northeast. Barkley Rosser

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 1:11 AM Subject: Re: Barkely's guide to Kosovo