Re: Stratfor: NATO’s Old CIA Map Theory makes no Sense Whatsoever

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue May 11 10:48:46 PDT 1999

Adam,

I think I sent a message on this to pen-l but not to lbo (trying to avoid going overquota today). And I certainly don't like going up against the geniueses at STRATFOR, but there is an explanation for this.

The newly created in 1996 agency, the National Imaging and Mapping Agency (NIMA) that has seized power/control/responsibility for this business from CIA made a new map from satellite imagery. The new map showed the embassy. However, that map had no street addresses or other IDs on it. For that the database from the old map was used. So, they had a map that showed the building, and from above it looks like the building that was to be the target, but they did not know what it was.

BTW, there is reason to believe that a more complicated shell game is going on in Washington with respect to the blame game. NIMA is the new kid on the spook block and a Pentagon agency. There has long been competition between the Pentagon spook shops and the non-Pentagon ones, notably the CIA. I find it interesting that the CIA is being given the entire blame for this, although it is pretty clear that the NIMA played a pretty important role in the whole business.

BTW, for those who come up with half-baked probability calculations and then declare that this could not have been a mistake, I would remind you that the chances of the Three Mile Island accident happening were supposedly something like one-in-ten billion. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Adam Souzis <adam at souzis.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 3:19 AM Subject: Stratfor: NATO’s Old CIA Map Theory makes no Sense Whatsoever