NATO bombs Chinese embassy

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Tue May 11 13:56:19 PDT 1999

> Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
> From: CounterPunch <sitka at teleport.com>
> Subject: Re: NATO bombs Chinese embassy
>
> Doug H. wrote of AM Rosenthal and T. Friedman
>
> >But he's laughable and stupid. Friedman's not stupid and kind of terrifying.
>
> I don't know how smart Friedman is, but he is certainly an unfiltered
> mouthpiece for a certain clique of Clintonoids. The truly terrifying thing
> about this oped (along with a few others) is that it illustrates the new
> liberal think on Yugoslavia, essentially it applies the Goldhagen model
> (Hitler's Willing Executioners) to the Serbs. Look out.

yes, and this comparison was explicitly made my Michael Lerner in the most recent issue of Tikkun: (http://www.tikkun.org) ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Our desire for connection and for a world based on love makes it all the more difficult for us to advocate armed struggle with anyone, and is one of the reasons why under almost every possible circumstance we at Tikkun have a predisposition to oppose armed force and to seek negotiations. But when we see acts of mass murder and genocide, the expulsion of hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, and acts of brutality and rape, we feel impelled to act. When it was the United States doing this directly in Vietnam, we did everything possible to disrupt its capacity to wage war. And now, when we see this kind of behavior in Kosovo, we reluctantly conclude that coercive or even violent interventions may be justified and morally required. To such a position, peace activists respond that the culprit is Milosevic, and that we could take a large step towards resolving this crisis by bringing him to trial, while avoiding the bombing of innocent Serbian people. Certainly Milosevic's actions have been criminal. But the murders and rapes and mass expulsions of hundreds of thousands of Kosovars were committed by tens of thousands of "willing executioners" cheered on by a Serbian society which had supported the genocide in Bosnia and seemed willing to go along with its continuation in Kosovo. In the years before the bombing, when alternative media exposed the war crimes in Serbia, the opposition forces received only minimal support from a society that seemed all too ready to rally around Serbian nationalism and to justify genocide to itself. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Lerner also goes on about Clinton's "moment of transcendence" and "voice of principle" when he rose above self-interest with the "move towards intervention", etc. There's also some talk about a "politics of meaning foreign policy: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- A politics of meaning foreign policy is one directed at building this sense of mutual confidence and hope. International law and human rights may sometimes express the level of hope and trust being constructed. But there is a danger that in talking the language of law and rights we move too far away from what we are really seeking, which is to develop in each of us a deep understanding of our mutual interconnectedness, of respect and even awe for the way each person on this planet is a manifestation of God, of the necessary unity of all human beings and the ultimate Unity of All Being. The language of law and rights often stultifies our capacity to remember what we are really fighting for.

The tragic irony of the real world is that sometimes to get to this level of caring, to create a context in which it feels safe, we must first or simultaneously use force to restrain those who are acting in a bullying manner. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- etc. etc. ugh.