karea

rayrena rayrena at accesshub.net
Wed May 12 06:18:56 PDT 1999

LBOers,

Thomas Friedman's most annoying trait, outside of his fanatic cheerleading of an imperialist war and that silly moustache, is his obvious posturing for a bigger role in the media spotlight--or perhaps in the state department. His salvos since the war have started, which I think have been trying to be humorous, are primarily designed to brighten his media star and to promote his "vision" (that is, his Machivelli-cum-Wired book) of the post-cold-war world. Friedman wants to be the one who, in a few years after, after we have destroyed Serbia and "won" the war, gets credit for leading the media pep rally.

Speaking of careerism, CounterPunch quoted Ted Turner as saying:

>"Here's the class of '99, and y'all are just starting out. Wouldn't it
>be terrible to have nuclear war in the next week or two and mess up

>y'alls careers before they have gotten started?''

I had no idea that Henry Fonda's son-in-law was such a brilliant ironist. See, his little riff had nothing whatever to do with the threat of nuclear war; it was really just jab at the careerist ambitions of today's youth. Genius, pure genius.

Eric Beck