Intellectual Conservatism and Class Bias against Soldiers

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed May 12 06:32:46 PDT 1999

> Carl Remick- "Terrorism cannot be countenanced under any
> circumstances"

This was actually an accidental postscript. I'd included it in my original e-mail, then decided I hadn't really thought through whether terrorism can *never* be condoned ... but neglected to delete this phrase. I'm glad I didn't. Terrorism is a classic worse-than-a-crime-it's-blunder tactic. Just think of Pan American Flight 800, the bombing of the World Trade Center, etc. -- all these actions that have de-legitimized (in the opinion of many) very legitimate grievances.

> I gave a whole set of justifications for terrorism, which the
> Left has used
> in defending the PLO, the IRA and a whole host of other
> anti-colonialist
> groups over the years.

No, you won't hear any such special pleading for terrorist groups from me. Their actions are cruel and counterproductive -- in a word, insane.

> Carl worries I am justifying mass murder. Since I
> specifically noted that
> the main justification for terror was to prevent the GREATER number of
> deaths that military action would entail, that seems a direct
> refusal to
> engage the argument.

I think there is no such simple tradeoff. I think terrorism has a corrupting and brutalizing effect that turns societies into garrison states and sets the stage for the eventual mass slaughter of true war.

Carl Remick