Intellectual Conservatism and Class Bias against Soldiers

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Wed May 12 08:07:15 PDT 1999

I'm anticipating being overlimit today, so I'm conserving and asking several questions in one post.

For Margaret (and others):

>Milgram's experiments demonstrate that
>conclusively, imo.

Who is Milgram? Can you explain further?

For Nathan,

>While I used the hospital example where everyone there was a Milosevic
>supporter as an extreme case (hypothetically), the real civilian targets
>should be ones most implicated in supporting and defending the Milosevic
>regime, including the top leadership itself.
>
>Would anyone argue that killing some poor kid drafted into the army is more
>moral than bombing the home of the Serbian legislator who voted to send him
>to war?

Sure, the legislator is more responsible. But, I think your argument is impractical and superficial. Say we bomb the home of the Serb legislator and kill his wife and kids (maybe he's home, maybe he's out buying groceries at the time). Do we have to make sure he's home alone when we drop the bomb? How do you do that? And how do you know in advance which segments of the Serb population merit being bombed from the rest of them? And then how do you pick targets where only those people will be situated?

My second point is that the kid who is drafted also shared some responsibility for what he's doing. The fact that he is drafted is a mitigating factor, but the soldiers who kill and rape are still responsible for their actions.

Brett