Intellectual Conservatism and Class Bias against Soldiers

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Wed May 12 16:20:45 PDT 1999

'1. From Misod Chachamim, p.314

How far does freedom of the individual go? An eternal answer was given about this in the parable of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai: the parable is very clear. Each person does not sail in his own personal boat, but we all, the entire community, sail in the same boat. And if one person pokes a hole in it, even just in the area of the boat where he is sitting - in any case he is causing a hole in the shared boat, and the water that penetrates inside does not discriminate between the area of the hole-poker and the rest of the boat... a person may not say that "I am the master over myself and do what I want"... if the action of an individual is bad for the community - the community must get involved and prevent it from occurring. In Tana DeÆBei Eiliyahu [a very early Midrashic commentary], there is an even stronger idea: Kol Yisrael areivim zeh bazeh - if a hole is made in a boat, one of the passengers cannot claim, "what does that have to do with me? That is not where I am sitting" - if he had the ability to stop up the hole and did not - he himself holds the responsibility [for making it]... '