body count

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri May 14 06:39:13 PDT 1999

Seth,

That's the figure. Sorry for upping it. The W. Post gave a city-by-city breakdown on that. Maybe it's not on the website.

The incredible number that I did not cite is the other the one they throw around, the alleged 100,000 "missing Albanian Kosovar males of military age." That I suspect is off by an order of magnitude. Plus, a bunch of the "actually exising missing" are in fact active UCK/KLA "in the hills." Some of those missing are probably dead, but they may be a chunk of the 4,600.

BTW, most of the 4,600 (the city-by-city count and the refugee sources make that number look harder than some, even if it is exaggerated by a thousand or two), are apparently "military age males." However, even if one wants to say that they are probably UCK/KLA and therefore "deserve to die," they were taken unarmed and shot, clearly a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Whatever the exact numbers, the rough orders of magnitude are clear: 200,000+ in the Croatia-Bosnia war, "several thousand" in Kosovo-Metohija, "several hundred" civilian dead in Yugoslavia from NATO bombs, and three Chinese in Belgrade from NATO bombs.

In any case, the bombing should stop. The hard fact that US/NATO must face is that they have lost and cannot win. All further effort simply adds to the suffering. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Seth Ackerman <SAckerman at FAIR.org> To: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, May 13, 1999 6:38 PM Subject: RE: body count