Today's Salon (continued) -- "Abrasive prick"

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri May 14 09:36:17 PDT 1999

Doug,

The WSJ article is not too far off. There has been probably more restructuring than in some of the other "East Asian crisis economies," but certainly not as much as the IMF wanted. Furthermore, growth has only barely restarted, if at all. There are all these boomy forecasts, but it has not really taken off yet in any substantial way.

One irony is that the smallish amount of turnaround that has happened has apparently already worked to slow down the restructuring efforts.

A quick summary would be that there has been more restructuring of the banks than there has been of the dominant chaebols. What little there has been of them has been almost entirely just a shell game of shuffling things around. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 11:21 AM Subject: Re: Today's Salon (continued) -- "Abrasive prick"