NATO kills again

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri May 14 21:30:16 PDT 1999

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Chris Burford wrote:
> This reinforces the Salon article that Nathan quoted. The discussion on the
> BBC is about the inevitably of continued mistakes if the sole method of the
> war is high level air attacks. I am sure the article is correct that there

I would think that it's inevitable both ways, whether by troops on the ground or by aircraft in the sky. I am heartened that NATO is making a reasonably clean breast of its errors, at the very least.

> What is not clear is why there is a reluctance to arm the Kosovans.

I doubt any nation in europe, certainly none of the NATO nations, are especially fond of proxy wars. Especially ones that are only a few hours away by highway. Nor would they be especially fond of an western-armed KLA in a region that, should it need to be said, is in a profound economic collapse. They would be (or at least they could be) sowing the seeds of their own destruction.

marco