Katha Pollitt

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat May 15 08:15:50 PDT 1999

> Cheers to Katha Pollitt for resigning her editorial post at the Nation
> (she will remain a columnist) in protest against the magazine publishing
> a signed editorial by a rightwing entrepreneur by the name of Unz. Unz
> wrote about public schools and while he is opposed to vouchers, he says
> many ridiculous things about schools. Pollitt correctly points out that
> the Nation has given this dog a liberal credibility utterly undeserving.
> Also, Doug's article on social welfare spending and poverty in various
> nations in the last LBO is excellent. Check it out.
> michasel yates

folks who haven't read Michael Yates' book _Why Unions Matter_ (and I sheepishly admit to not yet having done so) should check out Jane Slaughter's review in May 30 issue of *In These Times*...

Slaughter (who used to be with Labor Notes, is she still?) concludes by saying that Michael is:

'positive about the real differences made by the "new AFL-CIO" under John Sweeny, and he argues lucidly for changes that (he knows) the current AFL-CIO Executive Council will never make. That's where we get back to the role of reds and the "struggles for the hearts and souls of our national unions." _Why Unions Matter_ makes an excellent text for worker education or a college labor studies class. Yates' challenge to the conventional progressive wisdom should be discussed in all labor arenas, expecially those where debate is usually squelched.'

Michael Hoover