Spike Lee, war's adman

kelley digloria at mindspring.com
Sun May 16 10:45:01 PDT 1999

this is sick! and there he is in Hoop Dreams, mr. revolutionary, telling the b-ball recruits--in front of all the white buoys that run the show--that they're nothing but pieces of meat in a vast slaughter house that calls itself the fucking NBA. hey, m jordan hangs with these kids and tells them that most of 'em don't have a chance, so study hard, do something. spike lee sez join the Navy, be all you can be.

and, you know, i play b-ball with a lot of kids that live around here and they damn well pin their hopes on that big b-ball career. so join the Navy when those dreams are smashed for most of 'em.

somebody ought to ball spike lee. drive him to the rim.

i'll report back after b-ball this afternoon, i'll start something. no doubt.

audi 5000 kelley

>NEW YORK (May 15, 1999 2:24 p.m. EDT - Spike Lee is setting sail with a
>series of recruiting ads for the Navy. The filmmaker signed on to make six
>commercials for the oceangoing branch of the military.
>
>Using hand-held cameras for a fresh look, Lee did documentary-style spots
>on Navy SEALS, sailors in a rock band, exotic travel opportunities and
>other service-related topics.
>
>"Spike may attract a younger audience than our previous commercials did,"
>said Lt. Cmdr. Karen Jeffries, adding that the Navy fell 7,000 recruits
>short of its goal in 1998. "Spike can give us a different edge."
>
>The first commercial will debut June 4 in movie theaters showing the new
>"Star Wars" film before the spot airs on television. Lee, who has done
>commercials for Nike and Levis, has film credits including "Malcolm X" and
>"Do The Right Thing."
>
>"I was surprised they picked him, but I think the Navy did the right
>thing," said former Lt. Cmdr. Allan Camaissa, who appeared in one of the
>new spots.

“touch yourself and you will know that i exist.” ~luce irigaray