Foreign Affairs on KLA

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun May 16 16:13:48 PDT 1999

In message <3.0.2.32.19990516235115.01115974 at pop.gn.apc.org>, Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> writes

>Of course for marxists the way to avoid the Kosovans become influenced by
>sectarian muslim politics is by supporting and respecting their right to
>self-determination.

I'm not sure that Lenin meant the right of nations to self-determination to be a Kantian categorical imperative, outside of history. Rather he saw that it was a right that took on special significance in the light of the domination of imperialist powers. In that light he would have endorsed Yugoslavia's right to self-determination over the opportunistic agitation of those imperialist powers amongst the Yugoslav republic's disaffected minorities.

The key issue in judging the democratic content of these struggles is this: are the KLA fighting for independence, or for the subordination of the region to Western domination? I suggest the latter.

-- Jim heartfield