NATO's arch civilizer, the UK

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon May 17 07:49:22 PDT 1999

Tony Blair's willingness to civilize the Serbs good and hard shows such extraordinary missionary zeal that I've been wondering, just how exalted *is* UK society these days that Brits can afford to lavish such attention on the woes of other nations?

The following item -- buried in Saturday's NY Times -- goes a long way to answer my question:

"The British Medical Journal said teen-agers in England and Wales have Western Europe's highest incidence of sexually transmitted diseases and teen-age pregnancy. A report also said the teen-agers were more likely to have used illicit drugs than their counterparts on the continent. The trend was ascribed to poor education, poverty and lack of supervision by parents, who work the longest hours in Europe."

Carl Remick