The Bubblemeister panicking?

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Mon May 17 18:07:14 PDT 1999

I think a lot of this has to do with business planning. From what I can gather long range planning even by the Japanese is out. Globalization and instantaneous reaction to events is in. The longest planning horizon is 2 to 3 years and that may even be too long. Naturally the Federal Reserve and the Treasury are fine tuning their reaction time to meet this instantaneous global reality.

In a rather botched post last night I was trying to make a point about 401-k's and the baby boom generation. Let's say your late 40's or early 50's and you have socked away a considerable amount in a 401-k. Even with a balanced portfolio you realize that the equity portion of the portfolio has a considerable downside risk---when does it make sense to shift out of equities and take a nice safe 5 3/4% or more return. If that option is available to you. If business planning is strictly a short term global shell game; maybe you ought to hold on to your pea.

Your email pal,

Tom L.