Rugova Calls for Continuation of NATO airstrikes

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Tue May 18 06:00:04 PDT 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Jim heartfield <jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> -If the KLA or Rugova were calling for independence, they might deserve -our support, but in substance they are calling for the subordination of -their region to a Western protectorate.

Ah, if a people choose the form of independence that we approve of, then that is the right of "self-determination", but if they choose a form that we don't like, the it is illegitimate.

I believe it was Kissinger who said of Chile the people should not be allowed to go Communist "just because of the irresponsibility of its own people."

So if any people is so irresponsible as to choose alliance with the West over oppression by a locally based oppressor, their self-determination has no legitimacy, and "leftists" have the right to speak in their name for their interests?

But one point is true, those who side with Milosevic's regime that the Kosovars desires are illegitimate can consistently oppose the intervention.

But those who have argued that the intervention has accomplished nothing for the Kosovars and that, in the name of the Kosovars, the intervention should end - well, they might take the desires of Rugova and the whole range of Kosovar leadership that apparently think the intervention is effective enough on their behalf that it should not end.

--Nathan Newman