Promises,promises...

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue May 18 07:23:36 PDT 1999

Yesterday I attended a lunch and roundtable discussion with Senator Mike De Wine R-Ohio.

DeWine who is reportedly from Cederville, Ohio which isn't too far from Yellow Springs or Wilberforce a couple of places some of you may have heard of...and it probably explains why De Wine often disguises himself as a Democrat. One of our local newspaper pundits describes De Wine as being from the "buckle of the Bible Belt". Which I don't consider to be quite accurate considering the proximity to Antioch and Central State. DeWine does have a modified southern preacher style of delivery and tries for the barnyard just folks style of Lamar Alexander; hay bale and all.

I did get Senator DeWine to wince after lunch. When I described globalization as ripping the guts out of our manufacturing base I also mentioned that globalization was costing the Steelworkers and other unionized workers hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs every year as we bled to death.

DeWine then let loose with a torrent of promises to introduce and support legislation aimed at drawing the line on globalization.

One thing that Senator DeWine and others must realize is that the problem isn't isolated to the steel making industry---the problem is with our customer base too. If your customer base is shrinking because your customers are moving out of the country to avoid the costs of doing business in the USA, social or economic, you have a real long term problem.

Your email pal,

Tom L.