Neo-liberalism

Bert Davis bdavis at citicom.com
Tue May 18 12:34:39 PDT 1999

I am at times puzzled, confused, dismayed and outraged by the uses of the term Neo-liberalism. In my youth Liberal Democrats believed in unions, safety nets and progressive taxation. Conservative Republicans were against unions, safety nets and wanted none or regressive taxation. To label today's corporate drive for world domination as Neo-liberalism is like saying that black is white. Please enlighten me as to the origin, history, meaning and purpose of Neo-liberalism. Shouldn't it be called Neo-conservatism? TIA. Bert