Hitler

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 19 06:02:13 PDT 1999

Tavia wrote:

> Not to open up a can of worms, but as a historian these Time covers always
> bother me because they rely so much on the "Great man" theory of the past.

Agreeing with this, I would have to replace Mao (otherwise my No. 1) with the Vietnamese Peasantry. My argument is that, substantively, the No. 1 position should go to the Chinese Peasantry, but that the attention of the world was drawn sharply to their tremendous achievement by first focusing on Vietnamese resistance to the U.S. invasion.

Carrol

P.S. Most of the selections seem unnecessarily Euro-centric. Whoever was the most important figure of 20th c. history, he/she was not a native of Europe or the United States, Samuelson to the contrary.