Foreign Affairs on KLA or what's under wojtek's petticoats?

Wed May 19 12:14:58 PDT 1999

I agree with Kelley and Wojtek. Further comment below.

>>> kelley <digloria at mindspring.com> 05/18/99 05:57PM >>>

Wojtek:
>It looks like people not giving a shit anymore what policies, if any, the
>people who call themselves the government pursue.

Kelley: well, this is about where folks are at. how exactly can you blame people for feeling powerless when time and time again folks on this list point out how utterly meaningless two party politics is, how utterly undemocratic it really is, ad nauseum. not too long ago they felt rather powerless as an impeachment vote went forward despite some rather vigorous objections. whether pop op. was right or wrong, that's not the issue. but just think about how unimportant people feel, how lacking in any sense that they can effect some sort of change, or even have their voices heard, let alone acted on? why should they bother-- especially in the face of the military industrial perplex?? particularly in the face of what is presented, relentlessly, as an international NATO NATO NATO action.

not voting, not acting, not protesting IS a form of voting, acting, protesting. it's flipping the finger at everyone, fuck it. so, like eric, i agree that it really doesn't get 'the left' or 'lefties'--whatever your fave appellation--very far to dismiss people so quickly. your attitude above is well-entrenched among the left wojtek. it exists in the tension with and yet, curiously, operates in tandem with the valorization of the heroic working class--a quite comfy relationship i might add. it is something that 'the marxist left' needs to come to terms with if it every truly wants to form some sort of broad-based working-class social movement.

Charles: Wojtek and Kelley have it EXACTLY. Most people in the U.S. aren't stupid. They have made a fairly rational decision that going for yourself rather than "saving the whole world and yourself included in the whole world" is their best chance of a good result for their self. Sure some don't make it, but any individual feels they have a better chance , if they concentrate on "saving " themselves rather than saving everybody. In this case, especially rather than saving some far off Iraqis or Serbians. This explains the weak feeling on both sides of the war issue. The support for the war is meek too. As long as "I" or my child is not threatened with dying by fighting, I don't care one way or the other. If asked , some say they support, because some DON'T TRUST THE POLL TAKER EITHER. If you oppose the war your name may go on a Big Brother list. So the safe route is to SAY you support the government, but most who "support" don't really give a shit either.

What I am saying is that the bourgeoisie are fabulously successful in creating for the vast majority of the population a life situation in which the chances of success for the individual are greatest by being a selfish individual rather than a citizen or social activist. Not based on Adam Smith's grand plan for all of society based on pursuing selfish interests. Rather just the selfish pursuit without giving a shit about "all of society ".

I really think this is THE thing that the Left must overcome to revive. But I really have very little idea how to revive social consciousness, collectivism and altruism.

Charles Brown