The weakness of the anti-war movement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 19 17:22:36 PDT 1999

For what it's worth as an impression, very few (if any) of the people I knew who were actively engaged in anti-war work were particularly threatened by the draft, or seemed to have that threat as even part of their motive in opposing the war. If you want a derogatory motive, don't look to fear of the draft but a general feeling of some that it was a nifty thing to do for the hell of it. But the primary motive I believe

was irritation at the irrationality of it all.

In general motive hunting does not seem a very fruitful form of analysis.

Carrol