Antifascist analysis of Littleton massacre/ " politicalness"

Chuck Miller cmiller at Kemtah.com
Thu May 20 13:55:45 PDT 1999

I'm sorry I haven't had time to put time in on the list about this subject. I liked the article about the fascist tendencies of the seemingly random acts of terrorism in the schools. One thing seems certain: these are political acts. I think a more useful category is "political nihilism," though, especially since the ideological and political vocabulary of the perpetrators is so ill-defined. I also think the discussion is seen in postmodern terms, instead of a strictly sociological analysis. In this sense, one needs to look at the dominant political interests of a system designed to marginalize all expressions of difference and socialize normalcy through various means of institutionalized programming. The schools are the primary means of this... In the movement towards greater technological homogenization, individual expressions of radical personhood are ridiculed and turned into anti-personhood. The violent reaction by school kids shows the utter viciousness of conformism and how much pressure there is placed on kids in the schools to embrace the corporate-designed life-styles of consumerist bliss.

Anyone ever seen "IF," the Lindsay Anderson film done in the he early 70s? It depicts two English school kids mowing down their classmates and parents in a fit of nihilistic terrorism. Is that prophetic or what?

cdm