Neo-liberalism

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Sat May 22 14:15:18 PDT 1999

Marta Russell wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Can you tell me what does ECLAC stand for and how can I get a citation for
> this information??
>
> Marta

Marta:

ECLAC stands for "Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean". It belongs to the UN. Its main offices are located in Santiago de Chile and has country offices in all LAC countries (including Mexico in case someone asks) and Washington, DC. One of ECLAC's Secretary General was Raul Prebisch, one of the main proponents of the Import Substution path to development. ECLAC is the origin, as far as I know, of the "structuralist" school, which still has many adherents in the US, most notably Lance Taylor at the New School for Social Research. Lately, ECLAC has evolved into some king of "pro-market" (center right, if you will) institution trying to maintain its social focus though. It has been publishing a few studies related to poverty and inequality.

I will have to visit ECLAC's offices here in Uruguay tomorrow pm. I will get the full citation for you post it on the list.

Anyways, ECLAC's web site (english version ) is
:http://www.eclac.cl/index1.html. You can learn more of ECLAC's history and
future there.

See you

Juan