The weakness of the anti-war movement

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu May 20 15:58:41 PDT 1999

At 09:47 20/05/99 +0100, you wrote:
>In message <3.0.2.32.19990519190948.00727b5c at pop.gn.apc.org>, Chris
>Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> writes
>
>>As General Mladic, the Serb general in Bosnia said, rape is good for
>>soldiers' morale.
>
>Oh come on, citation please!
>
>As Tony Blair said, I like to gouge the eyes out of little girls while
>ordering the repeal of welfare benefits...
>--
>Jim heartfield

Does Jim find the remark so unbelievable? Rape does indeed strengthen a certain type of male morale. Did it not set Rome on the path to imperial glory?

Does Jim imagine that the repeatedly reported rape of women in both Bosnia and Kosovo occurred as a result of mere spontaneous orgasms among excited men, and did not have a political, ideological, and organisational context?

A surprisingly naive analysis.

And just there is a groundswell of rebellion on the left against welfare cuts in Britain, so there is evidence of a sense of revulsion among members of the conscript and volunteer army that did once uphold the ideals of Tito.

Chris Burford

London