suburbanites killing each other again

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 20 22:24:32 PDT 1999

A popular San Francisco Bay Area AM talk show host named Ronn Owens suggested that schools should separate out these types and send them to some style of reform school. Really, it is a rather "locked-gate-community" style of thinking. That is, he was really concerned about the kids who *want* to learn, being at risk, and he just wants to send the trouble makers away. Of course most discussion by the media and politicians never gets at the root causes. Someone needs to find ways to breakthrough to these kids where they can, to head of the cycle of isolation - it means spending money and creative thinking on education and the school environment. Unfortunately the national models say things like build more prisons, conduct economic policy that declares 5% of the population *shall* be unemployed, treat alcoholism only criminally not as a disease, bombing is a bold humanitarian act, and on and on. -steve grube