Where's BB King and Pol Pot?

Fri May 21 10:12:29 PDT 1999

Well, this Ivy sophisticate can make important distinctions among blacks--he is no vulgar working class racist. At any rate, the comment suggests how the oppression of African Americans is built on confounding race and class oppression--something to be underlined when reviewing the criminal justice stats for example (see Jeffrey Reiman's helpful discussion in The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Prison). Of course there is the added monstrosity of the equation of New York African American and Central Park rapist in the minds of suburbanites everywhere--for example, it was expressed by my neighbor on the plane on the flight home. Of course, the welcome African must presumed to be a wealthy Nigerian who will make an important contribution to the endowment in the future.

The tv got hooked up in my absence; saw Law and Order on Wed night. Interesting how the prosecutors are faulted for rushing to judgement against an arrogant Hispanic math teacher while the upstart working class student turns out to have carried out the strangling and manipulated the golden boy heir--all in order to preserve his relation to the dean's daughter, his meal ticket. Anti racism served as a cover for the expression of the most banal class prejudices in the academy. The show ended with a heroic intervention by the millionaire to teach his son important values and save him from his self destructive loyalty to his working class friend. It was the punitive class morality in so much of television that got me to unhook before.

yours, rakesh