wicked projects or the aporetics of the radical left

kelley d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 24 06:29:15 PDT 1999

sam, margaret, doug,

doug wrote:
>You're the one blaming "capitalism" for our political torpor, not me. You
>could easily criticize me for being timid, bourgeois even, for paying so
>much attention to legal structures.

gosh-a-golly doug you is getting mighty lame in the flame there. what does this have to do with the price of cheese in wisconsin? if one blames capitalism this means what? no one on either side of this debate has done anything but critique capitalism. the differences, as far as i can see, are theoretical--how the state is theorized, how social change & agency is theorized, and how praxis is theorized

doug asked margaret
>Would you please tell me how a critique of the U.S. Constitution and the
>machinery it has spawned is a "perfection-or-nothing" position, a departure

cause not a single person who criticized the C offered anything as a substitute, whether reform of it or what. no one even had the gozangas to say, throw it out. i think the best we got was Das Kapital. Excuse me? how's that even an answer as to how to put one foot in front of the other?

> Isn't it
>worth pointing out that the damn near impregnable rule of money was
>actually a design feature?

coz it's a no-brainer. everything is designed for that no? which is to say, no one theorizes the question "where to go?" how do we get from here to there. those who engage in relentless critique draw too sharp a line b/t past and future.

margaret asks:

>Yes! Yes! And doesn't it get right up your nostril?

i'm not generally that polite about things, but okay.

> But
>all there seems to be, here, are what Kelley calls 'the
>relentless critique crowd'. What a waste!

iyah. but alas, this is where doug missed his opportunity to *really* flame me, coz i'm relentlessly critiquing the relentless critique crowd, eh? to wit:

samathustra writes to margaret:

>D. No states at all. Why have a state?

well hooly dooly, there's a constructive answer that fleshes out some positive vision for the future. come on down from the mountain zarathustra and tell us a little more, like why NOT have a state? tell us how you plan on ordering the distribution of power otherwise?

kelley

“touch yourself and you will know that i exist.” ~luce irigaray