The weakness of the anti-war movement

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon May 24 07:27:54 PDT 1999

> BTW, I wonder who started the push for a draft back then? Could they have
> considered that that would be the beginning of the end? Of course, they
> couldn't have considered Henry Kissinger's career ambitions.
> Charles: Laflame, I think they had had the draft since at least WWII. The
> change was when they got rid of it.
> Charles Brown

first draft absent declaration of war (so-called 'peacetime draft') in 1940 & 1941 under legislation signed by FDR...with onset of Cold War under Truman, Congress passed 1947 Selective Service Act and there were 'peacetime draft' inductees every year between 1948 and 1973 (involved 100,000 plus men most years with peaks during Korean and Vietnam wars)...

despite fact that no one has been drafted since 1973, the 1947 Act is still on the books...Prez Ford followed Nixon's decision to stop inducting with suspension of registration in 1975...Carter renewed registration in 1980 (Congress authorized funding for registering 18 yr old men after a fairly heated debate)...in 1983 (I think), Congress passed a bill prohibiting higher ed financial assistance to males 18 and older who have not registered...

opposition to draft registration continues to exist among some members of Congress - mostly conservative Republicans - who favor affirming the worth of the military as a vocation...they prefer career airborne and ranger units...

on a related matter, the 1947 Selective Service Act was amended in 1965 making it a crime to destroy a draft card...US Supreme Court upheld this law in *US v O'Brien* (1968)... Michael Hoover