gun control

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon May 24 08:31:08 PDT 1999

At 04:22 PM 5/22/99 -0400, kelley wrote:
>i ask again: the cops busted into & searched my home the other night for
>no good reason, what else do i have to appeal to? thank god for a fucking
>Fourth i say, because i did go to neighborhood watch and i did make a
>complaint. in the absence of that i would have had to roll over and take
>it. and next time they try something like that i know that i can slam the
>door in their faces. sad fact is, i should have known already. why didn't
>i well....see below

kelley, sweets, i'm starting worrying about your safety - if you slammed the door in the cop's face, you'd be dead on the spot, Fourth or no Fourth; the ratfuckers just look for a pretext to use their weapon (last time they busted into the house I lived they shot the dof just for the heck of it. do not forget that the us was founded by a bunch of gangsters who were able to subdue the other folks thanks to their superior fire power - i do not think much has changed since then.

>methinks this is a spurious correlation. the constitution doesn't *cause*
>any of this, the capitalist system via the tool of the constitution does
>though. that it has been systematically taken up & interpreted in the
>interests of securing greater power to capital, well that's a no-brainer

but cause-effect relationship between constitutiona and the above named dertiments was not the orginal argument. the original argument was that the *cult* of the constitution is often evoked to legitimize the status quo; in the same way, religion does not *cause* social ills, it merely legitimizes and normalizes them - that's why it is the favourite opium for the people.

btw. i made the same argument about guns. i think the best argument for armed citizenry (by armed i mean high power automatic weapons) is the presence of darryl gates' brainchild aka military-style policing - the citizens' fire power is much much inadequate vis a vis that of those ratfuckers. it's a war out there and swat teams are the occupying force.

what i argued in my previous posting is not about guns but symbolism of guns in this culture - and more precisely, their sexual symbolism. and the most vocal defenders of "gun culture" seem to be those males who are most eager to show off their macho prowess rather the once who want to fight the powers that be. so it's really kinky, d&s stuff pales in comparison (ah, I miss mistress yoshie, sob, sob)

that's it folks - i'm out of this rathole just south of the mason-dixon line for a few days, heading el norte...

wojtek