Sullivan in Nigeria

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 24 09:27:49 PDT 1999

[From the fellow who tried to divert the anti-apartheid divestment movement with his "principles".... self-help for oil-ravaged Nigerians, with the help of those neighborly folks at Chevron.]

<http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/1999/05/052499/chevron_in_nigeria_3345.asp>

Environmental News Network - May 21, 1999 CHEVRON COMMITS $5 MILLION TO NIGERIA

Winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom and author of the Global Sullivan Principles, the Reverend Leon Sullivan is a Philadelphia minister whose work has helped set the standard for nondiscriminatory employment practices in South Africa under apartheid.A $5 million, five-year community development program in the Niger Delta has been launched by Chevron in partnership with the International Foundation for Education and Self-Help (IFESH). The Reverend Leon Sullivan, founder and president of IFESH, made the announcement at the African- African American Summit in Accra, Ghana.

The Chevron Corporation, according to Chevron spokesperson, Allison Jones, met Sullivan's entire proposal on behalf of the international private volunteer organization.

Winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom and author of the Global Sullivan Principles, Sullivan is a Philadelphia minister whose work has helped set the standard for nondiscriminatory employment practices in South Africa under apartheid.

Founded in 1984, the IFESH "responds to challenges facing developing nations by initiating or funding programs and institutions that provide motivation and training based on self-help principles".

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation with 108 million people, has incurred great political and social turmoil regarding its high oil production. The 70,000 square kilometer Niger Delta region produces Nigeria's 2 million barrels a day of crude oil, which accounts for more than 90 percent of its foreign earnings. Violent protests by locals who feel deprived of the oil wealth produced on their land have been on the rise in recent years, severely disrupting oil operations. Residents have repeatedly protested the government's mismanagement of the oil industry and have demanded greater compensation from Shell, Chevron and others. It will be interesting to see what progress the Chevron Corp, accused in the past of hindering the democratic process in Nigeria, can make with the $5 million price tag.

Sullivan has expressed great enthusiasm for the development program funded by Chevron. "This program will focus on helping people help themselves," said Sullivan. "We will encourage residents of the Niger Delta to participate actively in -- and not remain mere spectators of -- their own social transformation."

Specific objectives of the program include:

*Training and facilitating the self-employment of approximately 1,000 youths;

*Strengthening the food production capacity of fishermen/farmers in Chevron's area of operations;

*Providing basic education for primary school children, literacy classes for adults, and teacher training for primary school teachers;

*Facilitating the establishment of a self-run, privately funded credit/finance co-operative organization;

*Providing basic business skills training and access to credit for existing small businesses.

Sullivan's "Global Principles" asks corporations, like Chevron, to work with communities to improve the quality of life, and to train and provide opportunities for workers from disadvantaged backgrounds. Among other things, the principles also intend to promote fair competition and the respect of property rights.

The IFESH/Chevron partnership will impact an estimated 26,000 people at the end of the five-year term, including fishermen, women, teachers, community leaders, youths and children.

"We've invested more than $40 million in Nigerian community development projects since 1991," said George Kirkland, managing director of Chevron Nigeria Ltd. "This program is an extension of Chevron's commitment to our neighbors and is an integral part of how we conduct our business."

"The idea that we've done something wrong in the past is just not true," said Chevron spokesperson Fred Gorell. "In turn, we think there is no other company that has better helped Nigeria."