bourgeosie at thought

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue May 25 11:40:34 PDT 1999

Doug,

What is your source for 1968 as the year of greatest income equality in the US? LIS? Most of the sources that I have seen suggest that both the quintile ratio and the official poverty rate reached their lowest points a couple of years after 1970, although the Gini coefficient or the Atkinson index or some other measure may well behave differently. Even at its lowest, the US poverty rate never got below 11%.

It is worthwhile remembering that both overall economic growth and the extension of income redistribution programs extended through Richard Nixon's first term. He makes Clinton look like a reactionary (which he is, arguably).

But then you are Mr. Data and I stand prepared to be corrected, :-). Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 11:27 AM Subject: Re: bourgeosie at thought