gun control

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Wed May 26 05:56:05 PDT 1999

alister air:
> Unless you're seriously saying that large numbers of firearms in our
> community would have lowered these rates of crime (and have something
> vaguely resembling statistical evidence to back this up) then gun ownership
> has nothing to do with rates of crime. ...

I don't follow these things closely, but this is exactly what the knowledgeable gun nuts of my acquaintance say, and they have reams of very impressive statistics. I could probably find some if people are really, really interested, but if they were I'd think they would have come across the statistics all by themselves. One of the signal weaknesses of anti-gun activism is its reliance on prejudice and its lack of solid empirical argument, which leads to such anomalies as sending men with guns to violently take guns away from other men with guns in the name of non-violence, or leftists desiring that guns be taken out of the hands of the poor and the working class and left in the hands of the military and the police, all without any evidence that any good is being accomplished thereby.

Knowledgeable gun nuts call gun control "victim disarmament." Clever, eh?

Gordon