The War from Belgrade

CounterPunch sitka at teleport.com
Wed May 26 07:31:44 PDT 1999

LBOers--Thought I would share this letter which I received via email this morning. I've done little but write denunciations of this damn war since the first cruise missiles where launched. But I must confess it made me feel pretty fucking pathetic.

JSC

Letter to CounterPunch:

Appreciating what you are doing, but here in Belgrade we are running out of electricity, water and time. Every night is a question - will I be alive in the morning? Looking at the internet information and disscussions I get an impression that you out there do not realize that we are living people down here. You have all the time in the world to contemplate over the things "the mighty who need victory at all costs" are doing to us, but please, do something concrete. We are not some abstract statistic, we are people ...I just heard the sirens, so I must finish quick. Hoping that nobody of you ever experiences our last two months.

Sa¼a, Faculty of Fine Arts, Rajiceva 10, Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

___________________________________________________________ ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER? Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION! The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site <http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu at nwu.org>.