Weakness of the anti-war movement???

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed May 26 11:58:12 PDT 1999

At 02:17 PM 5/26/99 -0400, Tom Lehman wrote:
>Eric, this Yugoslavian Affair is going to kill the Democrats at the
>polls next year. The so-called Reagan Democrats will be back in the
>Republican camp. On the surface this may not be seen as an anti-war
>vote; but for those of us who are familiar with things like babushkas
>and Polish suitcases it will be. You will hear things about stuff that
>you have never heard about before---guaranteed---to drive the Democrats
>nuts.

I hope so, but I would not underestimate what William "The Weasel" Clinton may yet pull. I do not think he feels the heat of the Yugoslav affair yet, but when he does -- well, in his usual style he will sacrifice some of his side-kicks - my favourite bet is Mad Halfbright -- and make the liberals with the cruise missile envy feel good about themselves telling them that they fought a good, just, liberal war for the benefit of the humankind - a claim that may sail smoothly because it cannot be easily disproved by evidence of US venality of imperial interest. Another (and not mutually exclusive) strategy is "turning to the right" again and claiming that he once again reafirmed US military hegemony over Europe.

Mind that the Persian Guld adventure had virtually no effect on 1992 election, despite enormous popularity of that war. So there is no reason to belive that this adventure will be any different.

Of course, electoral defeat and disintegration of the Democratic Party is inherently good, because it will free organizational resources now being tied up to serve the interest of capital to be available to genuine grassroots organizing. So from that angle, I'd like to see your prediction coming true. But methinks that is too optimistic. I do not think the owners of the US will permit such a major pr blunder as a one-party rule to happen.

wojtek