Mary Daly update

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Wed May 26 12:37:50 PDT 1999

Doug wrote:

>[The Mary Daly saga continues... Anyone know anything about Duane Naquin?
>Is he a right-wing troublemaker, or was he seriously interested in the Daly
>experience?]

Troublemaker, I have to think. This from salon:

'In early December, on the last day of class for the fall semester, Daly received a telephone call from Boston College Theology Department Chairman Donald Dietrich. He told Daly that senior Duane Naquin was registered for one of her spring courses, "Introduction to Feminist Ethics," even though Naquin had never taken a women's studies course, a prerequisite for the class.

Daly didn't flinch. She had told Naquin in September what she's been telling male students for the last 30 years: that she would teach him separately.

...Dietrich informed Daly that this time she had no choice but to accept the male student. Daly also says it was during this call that she first learned that this student was being represented by the Center for Individual Rights, a public interest law firm in Washington. '

So he sounds like a stalking-horse, to me. And a putz.

I'm a fang-and-claw feminist, but Mary Daly disturbs me in ways I can't completely put my finger on. Perhaps it's only that, to me, she seems to have always gone out of her way to be self-congratulatorily obscure and annoying. [sigh] Suspicious besom that I am, I always have to wonder, with Berne, whether her inapproachability is a mask for banality. Regardless, I have a tough time mustering the energy to speak supportively of her. And I feel rotten about that.