30-year zero point loan

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed May 26 13:23:06 PDT 1999

If you treat your mortgage as "investment", which is not always the wisest option, then a 30-year fixed mortgage is not autnomatically the best deal. A 30-year mortgage will entail a total payment over the life of the mortgage double that of a 15-year. But usually interrest rate is higher than inflation rate at the time of closing, so the borrower is really risking on future inflation rates on a long term fixed rate. Many borrowers view long term fixed rates as insurance rather than a quest for maximization of gain. If you can swing the cash flow, which many buyers cannot because they like to buy the most expensive house they can afford, then a shorter mortgage is a better "investment". Even if you cannot afford a high payment at the beginning, an accelerating payment schedule tied to your anticiapted earning rise will still save you money over the life of your mortgage. As we know, the system is always geared to favor the rich, so a cash deal lets you capture 100% of the resl estate appreciation over time less inflation. In America, interest on one's residence is tax deductable, up to a principal sum of $1 million plus $100K for renvoation. So you have to calculate your income tax rate and compare it to your mortgage rate and then calculate your total payment because you can make an intelligent decision on which is the best "investment". In general, credit is an advantage only if you can buy a cash machine with the funds that can more than carry the payments, and you pocket the difference. On a fixed income, like most Americans have, credit is rather meaningless even with a tax deduction on interest.

Henry C.K. Liu