The Genocide Convention

frances bolton fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Wed May 26 16:47:48 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>I missed that post but I appreciate how you may have assembled the
>evidence. Was it not revealed recently how black people in one US town were
>secretly infected with syphilis to study its long term effects?

No. It was revealed not-so-recently. And they weren't deliberately infected so the longterm effects disease could be studied. They were already infected when the study began. Then, when treatment became available, it was witheld so the study could continue. Appalling, of course. But not in the way you describe. There's a rather good book about the affair--the author escapes me but the title is *Bad Blood*.

best, frances