The Genocide Convention

Wed May 26 22:05:43 PDT 1999

>No. It was revealed not-so-recently. And they weren't deliberately infected
>so the longterm effects disease could be studied. They were already infected
>when the study began. Then, when treatment became available, it was witheld
>so the study could continue. Appalling, of course. But not in the way you
>describe. There's a rather good book about the affair--the author escapes me
>but the title is *Bad Blood*.

If I correctly remember a talk by UC Berkeley sociologist Troy Duster (author of Backdoor to Eugenics) , the great irony of the racist Tuskegee experiment was the intention of the 'experimenters' to disprove the thesis of deep biological differences between whites and blacks by demonstrating that syphillis, if untreated, would spread among the latter just like the former!

yours, rakesh