top-of-cycle stuff

Chris Beggy chrisb at eden.com
Thu May 27 09:15:51 PDT 1999

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

> Reading the runes, I'd now like to sign up for membership of the bear club
> wrt world interest rates and equity markets.

> And a guy in Sao Paolo announcing that Brazil is going to have the tallest
> skyscraper in the world.
>
> Bubble, bubble, who's in trouble. If foundations ever get dug for that
> tower, in particular, I'll be selling all of my equities, of which I have
> none.

Two weeks ago Barron's had a humorous piece (by Alan Abelson maybe?) pointing out the world's tallest structure contraindication. You have to use your discretion with this one though. In the case of bubbling Japan, the urge to splurge upward was mitigated by the threat of earthquakes. They did manage to build what I think was the world's longest tunnel at the time, linking Honshu and Hokkaido, before their bubble burst.

Chris