gun control

kelley d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 27 12:44:08 PDT 1999

"Prepare to be chilly if you exercise your right to bare arms."

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>kelley, southernbelle,

wojtek, city slicker, heartbreaker,

i'm pained. this epithet. oh my heart weeps and bleeds to be thought a southernbelle. i wanna be recognized as the appalachian hick chick that i am damnit! and not only that, this.....

>i dunno how this urban machismo of the north compares to rural machismo of
>the south

i's a yankee-- a damn yankee as were noted over da weekend. dey's rednecks an' hicks an' all manner o' slovenly po' trash in dem dare noth'rn states. iyah. coz deys mo' ta new yolk dan dat dare new yolk city that oughtta be slice off and lefta drift inna da ocean!! why i's gots me a half-brother in kentucky --a fling ma pa had with ma cousin billie jo --an' i iven hadta 'splain ta him that we's got 4x4s with gun racks an' all. is a fact dat in tha no'thern states you ain't a real main 'tils youse larns ta carry you's fishin' poles in the rack and da gunz unner yer seat.

temporarily livin' in this hellhole they call floreeeeedaaaaaa but i's two minutes from da beach an' tha fishin' is mighty fine.

he only classification of living critters that makes
>empirical sense to me is two-legged (humans, pigeons), four-legged (cats,
>dogs, rats and drunks) and multi-legged (cockroaches, corporations and
>sundry sewer-dwelling lowlife) so i would not tell the difference between a
>redneck and a local yokel. So i think you are barking at a wrong tree
>chastising me (ah i miss mistress yoshie) for what you see as my attack on
>the redneck way of life.

yeehaw wojtek, now this here done gone did ma heart a heap o' good. made me laff til a cried i tell ya. i's mighty mighty shamed ta think dat ya thought i were peggin' ya fer an ignoramus. i's jiss fillin' ya in on how's mosta gun totin' folks might be realizin' deys manhood in deys gunz.

>what i had in mind was a totally urban phenomenon - a bunch of urban jocks
>and geeks dreaminng of being a tarzan - and gunz being a part of that
>dream. a short trip to *any* video outlet or video arcade provides ample
>empirical evidence

but don't you have to demonstrate this? i mean you have to show more conretely that there is a strong correlation here and that's not easy to do because there are so many other variables. i don't doubt that this is, in part, the problem. but i'd like to see more evidence that this is so. there is a study somewhere that the propensity for gun toting in urban areas is related to the person's sense that they are in danger. that combined with their propensity toward crime in the past is highly correlated with the violent use of gunz. jordy buoy--got any specifics on that one?

of what i'm saying: gunz or rather images of guns being
>used as magic wands to transform - for a modest fee - this urban lowlife
>who is literally being told how to walk into tarzans, batmen and
>uebermenschen of self-sufficiency and prowess that defeats their enemies
>and gets them the chick of their dreams.

would that it were so eh wojek. at least you know better. us girls is just so much more high maintenance than that!

>i suspect that there is a great deal of villification of the rural life
>here - so at this time i must take your word for its face value.

oh surely, but that wasn't really my point. i was actually fleshing out what i saw as the possible source of pleasure in guns for some men and women. in some ways i was responding to catherine's comments to jordy buoy. i do this because i know cat is interested in how desire/pleasure operates and i was wondering what she might have to say about something that might be a bit more complicated and ostensibly positive than she ever imagined given her strong fear of guns. [yes, cat, i agree that it's a vision of dominating nature and/or valorizing being 'in harmony w/ nature]

in some sense i share that fear and it took me a long time to feel comfortable around them, let alone shooting and carrying them. but you know when you is in love with a buoy and young and all you can be mighty persuaded to investiate what all the fuss is about.

>so what was that argument?

the nazi's confiscation of gunz. they lived in that part of germany that was handed back to poland after the war, i guess...hazy memory. hated the nazi's for what they did to their country and the bigotry they subsequently exp'd in the states. and many of them valued the right to bear arms and saw a deep connection between that, freedom, and the ability to fight something like the nazi rise to power.

>i'm quite ambivalent as well. i absolutely despise the glorification of
>violence and macho power, of which guns are a hierophany (i still think
>that eliade has much to say on methodology, as opposed to substance which i
>concur may be dated)

don't recall the specifics??

that permeates pop culture - methinks that while
>religion is the opium of the people, this stuff is the free-base cocaine
>cum amphetamine of the people. but i have also a very keen sense of
>reality (which is why i got kicked out from all cult groups from boy-scouts
>to zen-buddhists)

heh. and the boyscouts. eeeeeoooo you're right about that. i do agree with you about pop culture, though, and i worry cause i have a son and i do try to keep him away from that sort of thing--or rather try to balance it.

>i absolutely cannot stand the vigilinate mentality behind the argument that
>guns protect 'law-and-order' in fact, each time i her that crap i tend to
>think about the most ridiculous form of gun control - just to spite this
>drivel. i profoundly detest all forms of self-righteousness and
>vigilantism, but i se that many us-eres are quite fond of it. i guess i
>came to a wrong country.

agreed. don't know who argues this around here. jordy does a bit. but i don't think that's his biggest reason for the position he takes. i guess i don't know many USers that are fond of this argument. probably coz i lived in rural areas where that kind of threat isn't very real to people.

> 1. more police and a still
>bigger police state; and 2. more poor and working class people in jail.

iyah. and this is surely where we agree. i still harbor a bit of a revolutionary fantasy of fighting the revolution like the Mujeres Libres. i love red scarfs too! that's kind of an insider's joke for BADasses on this list but anyway....

>>hope ya had fun el norte.
>
>you bet. this was one of the most liberating trips of my life (real and
>virtual alike) - ah, that magic of the plymouth rock - more about it in the
>due time.

okey doke. and someday the civil society stuff, 'kay?

kelley

“touch yourself and you will know that i exist.” ~luce irigaray