No simple economic motive in Balkans

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri May 28 07:09:53 PDT 1999

Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > James, this wasn't "the left" speaking, it was a prominent liberal
> > imperialist pundit who has the ear of the president of the U.S.
>
> Are you sure he's a liberal and not a conservative? His article in the
> current Atlantic on Kissinger's dissertation is filled with rug's-eye
> paeans to Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon and Henry the K. He reminds me of
> no one so much as George Will.

His tearful paean to Orange County's rich white (with a few Asians to keep up "diversity" appearances) exclusive suburban neighborhoods serviced by people with brown skins in The Atlantic was particularly appalling. As he puts it, "they _work_". The malls are clean, and the help doesn't get uppity.

Please tell me this guy is not considered a liberal.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique