mortgage talk: Jordan vs. Liu, and much more.

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri May 28 07:36:22 PDT 1999

True. That is why Congress imposed the US$1.1 million mortgage principal cut off on deductable interest. But interest deduction does not stand alone in the US tax structure. It is part of a total package that includes other equalizing measures, such as Alternative Minimum Tax, various other deduction phaseouts tied to income levels, as well as tax exemption on resale profit tied to age and income levels. Your point that the US tax structure favors the rich generally is definitely true. The US tax approach has always been that for the lower income groups to get any tax breaks, such breaks have to be balanced by richer breaks for the rich, if not in percentage terms at least in absolute dollar terms. I have never understood why the average income American supports capitalism and its tax structure. Again, all consumer credit: home mortgages, car loans or leasing, credit card purchases, serve to increase the final cost of the product to the consumer. They should be assumed only if the consumer has no other option. Attempts to rationalize the use of consumer credit as smart money management are all illusionary and dangerous. It seems obvious that a market neutral strategy of keeping one's home should be fundalmental in personal finance management. To risk default on one's home mortgage because Amazon.com takes a 50% dive in market value is foolhardy and irresponsible. Consumer credit reduces the ability of the borrower to take risk on the earning side by exposing him to risk on the payment side. Opportunity cost is ultimately is the highest cost. Being more than clever by half in finance is the quickest way to the poor house on a personal level. And encouraging the average wage earner to risk his/her home to speculate in the stock market is both immoral and criminal. America and the world need greater income equalization, but the 30-yr fixed rate mortgage is not the proper vehicle for achieving it.

It would be more effective to alter the 4% unemployment tolerance in Humphrey-Hawkins. Any meaningful shift of income distribution will come only from a labor shortage, which under current policy, is prevented from emerging, in the name of fighting inflation. Without a labor shotage in the economy, no wage increase can take place, as recent data indicates. I remember in my first job, the low pay ($100/week) forced me to spend hours trying to figure out how I needed to reduce my basic living expenses just to make ends meet. Then one morning, I threw in the towel and went in to demand a raise that would allow me to live or I would be forced to quit. To my surprise, I got the raise ($115/week) within 5 minutes. I have since adopted the approach with much success. When is Amercian and global labor going to do the same?

Henry C.K. Liu