perma-temps

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Sat May 29 12:48:43 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood:
> Unions, which have noted the growth of temporary services in
> manufacturing with dismay because such workers are extremely difficult to
> organize, are looking for ways to tap into that discontentment.
> "We're trying to get a good handle on it, to figure out the best
> strategies," said Chris Owens, assistant director of public policy for the
> AFL-CIO. "But because many temp workers move from one job to another, it is
> harder to locate them."

If I knew any union officials, I'd suggest that the unions organize their own temp agencies. Back in the dark ages, when I was a boy, many jobs were available only at the union hall, so in a way they must have done it once (in effect if not in name). Once they were organized, the members could manage the agencies themselves as co-ops. If the agencies are really getting a 40% fee, that would provide a nice margin to attract worker interest _and_ capitalize expansion.

But I don't know any union officals. It's probably because of all these screwy ideas I have.

Gordon