AFL-CIO on the WTO

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Nov 1 05:11:39 PST 1999

> One would think that the service sector unions [especially teachers and
> AFSCME] would be foaming at the mouth at the GATS 2000 in the WTO
especially
> with regards to open international bidding on govt. procurement, which
will
> open up all kinds of privatization scams as well as give imprimatur to
even
> stranger education voucher strategies. The Canadians are way out front on
> this and November should present enormous opportunities for cross border
> strategizing/organizing on this issue. Funny how progressives are
actually
> being forced to play conservative on some of these issues.
> ian

Procurement is more about buying goods than services, hence a matter for the manufacturing sector. I don't think there is much danger to gov workers from foreign involvement in contracting out. Contracting itself is a sufficient bother.

Governments are likely to indulge each other re: competition for core services of governments for the sake of trade relations as a whole.

mbs