litcritter bashing...)

Mon Nov 1 11:20:37 PST 1999

>>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> 11/01/99 11:38AM >>>
I mystified by some of the arguments carried on in the name of Marxism. What patience would Old Whiskers have had for arguments about choosing between moral rights and wrongs? Didn't he say somewhere of the class struggle that between two such enemies there is no right & wrong, that only force prevails?

Charles: Maybe, but he also wrote to his father that he had found a way to unite the "is" and the "ought". And he certainly took a side in the class struggle. When we look at his practice, I think we can say he didn't truck the abstracts of conventional morality, but not that he did not have ideas of what is to be done and what is not to be done. Perhaps the idea was morality of deeds not words.

CB