linguistic left II, the sequel

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Mon Nov 1 10:55:41 PST 1999

Steve Perry wrote:

we can't
> know anything, so we can't do anything except argue
> about all the things we don't know.

No, we can't know anything with Cartesian certainty but it doesn't follow that we can't know anything, it just means that the standards of justification for truth and knowledge claims are lowered. One must ascribe knowledge and truth simply to get on in the world.

A lot knowledge of the world is mediated by language but this doesn't mean that there is only language or that the world is a text. Language refers to real things independant of the human mind and independent of social artifacts (of which language is one.)

anti-realism=idealism,

Sam Pawlett